Is there a pet peacock in your future? There might be after reading through this list of fabulous peacock names! And actually, peacocks are more popular as pets than most people suspect. One reason peacocks generally fly under the pet radar is because they are also called peafowl – a much less glamorous name for a bird with such showy tail feathers.
In fact, if you met a lady peacock, or peahen, you might not even realize you were looking at a bonafide peacock! Only the males of the peafowl family grow the long lustrous plumage they use to woo their ladies with. In the lists below, you will find unique and intriguing peacock names for both male peacocks and female peahens.
- Famous Peacock Names
- Peacock Names Male
- Peahen Names
- Cute Names for Peacocks
- Funny Peacock Names
- Best Pet Peacock Names
Famous Peacock Names
Wearing up to six feet of resplendent multicolored tail feathers is certainly enough to earn the peacock an enduring place in myths and legends as well as factual history. But did you know the peacock can actually fly with all those weighty feathers attached? Even better, when the male peacock shakes his feathers, they quiver to emit an infrasonic sound that makes the head feathers of peahens quiver. Talk about romantic!
These famous peacock names evoke the glamor and mystery of one of the world’s most luminous and sought-after birds. Each name has a little note explaining the origin of the name and its unique connection with peacocks.
Peacock names with meanings
- King Solomon (peacocks were a great treasure at his court)
- Alexander the Great (was said to keep peacocks)
- Christian (peacocks were associated with the early Christian faith)
- Karthikaya (god who had a peacock for his mount)
- Hera (goddess who is credited with creating the peacock’s famous feather “eyes”)
- Argus (Hera’s bodyguard whom Zeus killed, leading to the peacock’s feather eyes)
- Zeus (cheating husband of Hera who led to creating the peacock feather eyes)
- Io (Zeus’s paramour who set the peacock eyes legacy in motion)
- Olympus (mountain where Hera and Zeus, Io and Argus lived)
- Juno (peacocks were said to petition the goddess Juno for a sweet singing voice)
- Hyarotis (river where wild peacocks lived in vast numbers)
- Lakshmi (peacocks represent the Hindu goddess of prosperity)
- Persia (peacocks were the faithful guardians of the royal palaces of ancient Persia)
- Saraswati (peacocks are often pictured with the Hindu goddess of creativity)
- Mahamayuri (the wise peacock Queen from Mayahana Buddhism)
- India (peacocks had great significance in ancient India)
- Krishna (god who favored wearing a peacock feather in his crown)
- Phoenix (the peacock is said to have phoenix-like powers)
- Garuda (mythical bird whose feathers created the peacock)
- Vishnu (god who rode Garuda, the bird who was precursor to the peacock)
Male Peacock Names
Peacocks have earned a reputation for being good watch dogs, er, watch birds. Instead of barking, peacocks honk – and quite loudly at that – when alarmed. If that doesn’t work to deter the threat, there is Plan B – the inch and a half long curved kicking spurs that are handily installed on the back of each ankle.
While both peacocks and peahens have the spurs, males get theirs earlier and male spurs are longer and sharper. These feisty and fiery curated list of male peacock names will help you identify the perfect moniker for your beautiful brave bird.
- Melek Taus (“peacock angel”)
- Sun Ra
The female peacock, or peahen, may not be showy like the males of her species. But peahens make good use of their understated brown plumage. Because of their muted coloration, female peacocks can fly higher, lay lower and keep their bevy of peachicks safer during nesting season. These peahen names offer you plenty of naming goodness to consider as you brainstorm the perfect name for your precious feather lady.
- Kuan Yin
- Santoshi Maa
Cute Peacock Names
The peacock is a source of endless fascination for researchers and keepers alike. After all, how many birds can grow their own crystalline feathers? The structures in a peacock’s tail feathers can actually capture and reflect light, returning back the brilliant fluorescent colors that have made peacocks a fixture at royal courts for millenia.
And while most people don’t think of the shimmering adult peacocks as “cute,” that all changes once you lay eyes on an adorable peacock chick! These wide-eyed and fluffy balls on legs are cute as can be during the brief period of chick-hood. This curated list of cute peacock names is full to overflowing with cuteness to help you name your little peachick.
- Princess Pea
Funny Names for Peacocks
Peacocks are certainly magnificent to behold, with their elegant plumage, erect posture, confident manner and resonant calls. But they can also be quite funny, especially when they are young peachicks just learning the ropes of peacock life. These amusing peacock names capture some of the much less serious side of daily life with pet peacocks.
- Peppy le Puff
- Fowl Play
- Spurious George
- Beaks Away
Pet Peacock Names
As you now know, the peacock’s flamboyant tail feathers aren’t just there for show. But what about those delicate and delightful colorful crest feathers? Similar to a cat’s whiskers, the peacock’s feathered crown functions like a sensor of sorts, picking up sound and motion.
In fact, male peacock tails and peahen crests are both attuned to the same frequency, which helps them pair up when it is egg laying season! This list of male and female pet peacock names is full of whimsical and unusual names you are sure to love.
Picking the Perfect Peacock Names
Finding the perfect peacock names can take some time, especially if you are still getting to know your new peacock family member. Read through these lists a few times and notice which names stick in your mind. One of these just might be a perfect fit for your peacock!