Cat quotes are a great way to share a love of cats with family, friends and even total strangers!
We’ve got some of the greatest cat quotes for you to impress everyone with!
The Best Cat Quotes
Here is a handful of the best.
- The amazing activity of the cat is delicately balanced by his capacity for relaxation. William Lyon Phelps
- When I am feeling low all I have to do is watch my cats and my courage returns. I study these creatures. They are my teachers. Charles Bukowski
- I explained it loud and clear. What part of “meow” don’t you understand? Lee Wardlaw, Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku
- It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens. Cynthia E. Varnado
- I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. Hippolyte A. Taine
- Have an opinion? Let me stop you right there. Grumpy Cat
More Cat Quotes
After all, out of all the animal companions in the world, you had the wisdom and good sense to choose a feline – something only fellow cat lovers can truly understand.
This means there is a whole world of new friends out there with whom you already share something deeply meaningful in common – your cats!
We hope you enjoy these cat quotes and we invite you to share your own favorite cat sayings in the comments section below!
Cat One-Liner Quotes
Ahhhh… cat quotes. Comedians should pay cats for all the comic material they generate!
But the truth is, cats are among the few creatures in this world who can pull off being cute and cool, funny and wise, independent and clingy all at the same time.
Whether you are in the mood to laugh, marvel, love or something else – these one-liner kitty quotes capture it all.
Take a Look
- Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
- Cats are connoisseurs of comfort. James Herriot, Cat Stories
- Cats have it all – admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it. Rod McKuen
Inspirational Cat Quotes
Current estimates suggest there may be as many as 600 million cats living in the world today. Why so many cats? Do we even need to ask?
As cat lovers, we already know the company of cats is essential to our daily wellbeing.
Where would we be without the fur, the purrs, the reminders about what really matters in life?
As these cat quotes show, cats are always generous with their wisdom and inspiration!
- I have found it is surprisingly difficult to remain sad when a cat is doing its level best to sandpaper one’s cheeks. R. L. LaFevers, Theodosia and the Last Pharoah
- Guilt isn’t in cat vocabulary. They never suffer remorse for eating too much, sleeping too long or hogging the warmest cushion in the house. They welcome every pleasurable moment as it unravels and savour it to the full. Helen Brown, Cleo: How an Uppity Cat Helped Heal a Family
- The only thing a cat worries about is what’s happening right now. As we tell the kittens, you can only wash one paw at a time. Lloyd Alexander, Time Cat
Cute Cat Quotes
Cats are famous for many things, chief among which is their total command of time and space… plus abundant “cuteness,” of course!
With a feline, there is no wasted movement and no wasted opportunity, a rare feat which is at the same time both funny and wise.
As cute cat quotes—short and sweet—readily highlight.
- Like all pure creatures, cats are practical. William S. Burroughs, The Cat Inside
- Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them. Jim Davis, Garfield at Large
- I realized that cats make a perfect audience, they don’t laugh at you, they never contradict you, there’s no need to impress them, and they won’t divulge your secrets. Elle Newmark, The Book of Unholy Mischief
- Arise from sleep, old cat, and with great yawns and stretchings… amble out for love. Issa, Matsuo Bashō, Japanese Haiku
Funny Cat Quotes
You don’t have to look far to find funny cat sayings and funny cat captions in pop culture—they’re everywhere!
Many of our favorite cartoon characters are cats.
Countless authors, poets, comedians, and others make a great living from poking fun at cats.
And poking fun at us for the funny things we say and do around our cats.
These funny cat quotes and kitten quotes capture the essence of humanity’s connection with cats, which, as we all know, is all about the cat!
Check Them Out!
- I have noticed that what cats most appreciate in a human being is not the ability to produce food—which they take for granted—but his or her entertainment value. Geoffrey Household, Rogue Male
- Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later. Mary Bly
- People who don’t like cats were probably mice in a former life. Unknown
Famous Cat Quotes
Abraham Lincoln is perhaps the most famous cat-loving President. But he is certainly far from the only cat-loving president.
This proves that there is at least one thing that can potentially unite the world: a shared love of cats.
The same holds true for authors, philosophers, even veterinarians, as cat quotes by famous people express.
- No matter how much the cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens. Abraham Lincoln
- Cats may walk by themselves, but there are times when they need our support. Dr. Nicholas Dodman, DVM
- I have lived with several Zen masters — all of them cats. Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now
Cool Cat Quotes
Where did the saying “cool cat” come from?
Modern historians claim the phrase first became popular in the 1940s.
But archeologists have traced our love of these super-cool, calm and collected creatures back 5,000 years and counting!
These cool cat captions remind us that no matter how modern and mobile we become, there is a part of us deep inside that will forever remain ancient and wild.
And we share that in common with the felines we love.
Take a Look
- Prowling his own quiet backyard or asleep by the fire, he is still only a whisker away from the wilds. Jean Burden, A Celebration of Cats
- Their [cats] effortless passing between the wild and domestic worlds suggests the kind of grace we need as a species to move between nature and culture. Richard Mabey, Nature Cure
- God made the cat to give man the pleasure of stroking a tiger. Francois Joseph Mery
- Holding this soft, small living creature in my lap this way, though, and seeing how it slept with complete trust in me, I felt a warm rush in my chest. Haruki Murakami, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
These cat-love quotes and sleeping cat quotes just remind us again of why we love cats so much!
- You cannot look at a sleeping cat and feel tense. Jane Pauley (RD Laughter: The Best Medicine)
- There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat. Tay Hohoff
- A kitten is, in the animal world, what a rosebud is in the garden. Robert Sowthey
- Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want. Joseph Wood Krutch
- I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days. Bill Dana
Grumpy Cat Quotes
What do you get when you combine one grumpy-looking cat named Tardar Sauce with one Reddit post from the cat’s owner’s brother?
You get so much!
Millions of followers, trillions of smiles, the chance to quit your job as a waitress (if you are Grumpy Cat’s mom), book, and modeling deals.
And best of all, hundreds upon hundreds of Grumpy Cat quotes that are both funny and punny!
Grumpy Cat may nolonger be with us in body, but to everyone who loves cats—and even the unfortunate ones who don’t—she is immortal in spirit.
Here are the Grumpiest Quotes:
- No one ever tries to hug you when you’re a cactus. How did they get so lucky? Tabatha Bundesen, Grumpy Cat: The Grumpy Guide to Life
- I like the sound you make when you shut up. Grumpy Cat
- Like a good neighbor stay over there. Grumpy Cat
- I tried looking on the brighter side; it hurt my eyes. Tabatha Bundesen, Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book
- You gave me your heart. It was delicious. Grumpy Cat
- I had fun once… it was awful. Grumpy Cat
Do you have any favorite cat quotes from the lists here? Or did we miss your favorite cat quote? Please post it below for everyone to enjoy!