Bat names are perfect for lots of small pet mammals, reptiles and even birds. You don’t need a pet bat to make great use of bat names! Bats are energetic, active, intelligent little companions for each other. They are wild animals that need an amazing amount of space to roam. But that doesn’t mean you don’t need brilliant bat names!
- Cute bat names
- Funny names for bats
- Vampire characters
- Names that mean bat
- Lego Elves bat names
- Unique bat names
If you are thinking of adopting a bat with a wildlife organization, you might be allowed to name your adopted bat while making a valuable contribution to their conservation. Whatever your reason, if you want some creative ideas for names, you are sure to find some inspiration from our lists.
In many countries, including the USA and the UK, keeping bats as a pet is illegal. However, in some states in the US, it is legal to import non-native species such as fruit bats.
That said, legal or not, it is very tricky to keep bats as pets in an ethical way. These are wild animals, and caging does not work out well for these nocturnal creatures. They need to fly long distances to remain strong and be part of a colony to survive. Separating a bat from its natural environment is detrimental to its survival.
Bats play a vital role in pest control, pollinating plants, and seed circulation. They are an endangered species, and there are many laws protecting them. It is far better to adopt a bat than keep one as a pet.
When adopting a bat, most organizations provide you with a certificate, a plush toy, a photograph, and information on the species, as well as a regular newsletter. You also have the satisfaction of doing your bit to fight the threats that bats face.
How to Name a Bat
When naming a bat, you want to consider its individual features and the species. There are nearly 1300 different species of bats, with the most commonly seen ones being the vampire bat, the Indiana bat, the fruit bat, the giant golden-crowned flying fox, and Kitti’s hog-nosed bat. Bats are not the unpleasant and unfriendly creatures that people think and naming a wild animal shows empathy, making them individualized rather than generalized.
You can get inspiration from famous bats found in movies along with characters associated with bats. If you want a humorous name, you can find many bat pun names that will produce a few groans from family and friends! You can also think about cute and funny names, or even names that mean bat in a different language. See if any of these names in the lists below inspire you to find the perfect bat name!
Cute Bat Names
Despite what people think, many bats are actually small, furry, and cute with tiny little faces and pointy wings! Here are some cute names for you to consider.
- Black Beauty
Funny Bat Names
Bats seem intimidating and spooky figures with sharp fangs to suck blood and beady eyes, while some species facially resemble a dog and most certainly look like a puppy with wings! These different features can inspire those with a sense of humour to come up with some funny names.
- Bloody Mary
- Mr/Mrs Whiskers
- Winged Pupper
Famous Bat Names
In this list of names, you can find inspiration from popular bat characters depicted in movies, TV shows and books.
- Alfred – British butler to Bruce Wayne in DC Comics Batman
- Bartok – albino bat from the movie Anastasia
- Batfink – animated bat superhero TV series
- Batman – DC comics and movie
- Batwoman – DC comics and movie
- Bat Queen – Disney animated series Owl House
- Batwing – Batman’s counterpart overseas: DC comics
- Bruce – the character Bruce Wayne who is Batman in the DC Comics and movie
- Count Chocula – from the vintage chocolate cereal
- Fidget – Peg-legged bat from the Disney animated feature film The Great Mouse Detective
- Night Master – demonic sorcerer bat in the animated series Yin Yang Yo
- Robin – Batman’s sidekick in the DC comics and movie
- Rogue – the bat from the anime series Sonic X
- Stellaluna – the book’s title character and film about a fruit bat.
Famous Vampire Bat Names
These names are perfect for a vampire bat whose primary food source is blood.
- Barnabas – vampire from the TV series Dark Shadows
- Bella – main character in the Twilight series
- Bunnicula – title character from the animated TV series
- Dracula – title character from the novel
- Edward – one of the main characters in the Twilight series
- Nosferatu – 1922 vampire movie
Names Meaning Bat in Other Languages
Find out what bat is in another language.
- Chauvre-Souris – (French) meaning “bald mouse.”
- Koumori – (Japanese) derived from the word Kawahari meaning “eating mosquitoes.”
- Pipistrello – (Italian) bat
- Vampiro – (Spanish) Vampire bat
- Vleermuis – (Dutch) meaning “winged mouse.”
Bat Pun Names
You can get creative with these bat pun names!
- Bat Benatar
- Bat Boone
- Babe Ruth
- Bat Cash
- Bat Pack
- Bat Pitt
- Batty McBatface
- Indiana Bat-Jones
Bat Names from Lego Elves
Lego created Lego Elves to be more appealing to girls and was also an animated series. The main character was Emily Jones, a young girl who goes through a fantasy world called Elvendale filled with dragons, elves, and bats. Here we have listed the names from the franchise.
Unique Bat Names
Bats are unique animals that need a unique name. These names will help your bat stand out.
Choosing the Best Names for Bats
Choosing the perfect bat name can be challenging, but you can find inspiration in many forms, whether from movies, books, or other languages. You can also gain ideas from their unique features and traits, whether for a plush toy, adopted bat, or fictional character.