Dinosaur names for pets are awesome. Today I’m going to share a hundred dinosaur-related names for you to choose from. Plus tips on how to pick the right type of dino name to suit your pet’s character. From famous tv dinosaurs, to cute or cool dino-themed names, and from the movies to real life explorers and paleontologists, we’ve got every type of dinosaur name.
Top 20 Dinosaur Names for Pets
Let’s start with our top 20 favourite dinosaur names for pets. You’ll recognise some of these from classic TV shows, movies, and games. Others are based on the longer scientific names for well known dinosaurs. And one is the real life name of the largest, and most complete, T Rex skeleton that exists…can you spot which one?
- General Scales
Cool Pet Dinosaur Names
There’s no denying, dinosaurs are pretty cool. If you’ve got a pet that deserves a name as cool as the dinos themselves, you’ll want to check out these roar-some names.
- Big Al
- The King
- Stego Zord*
- Raptor Zord*
- Titano Zord*
- Dino Lord
*Yes, we think the Power Rangers are pretty cool.
If you’re looking for a name that suits a sweet adorable little pet, but still evokes thoughts of the mighty dinosaurs, we’ve got a selection of dino-related nicknames and cute puns to help you out.
- Little Liz
- Toothless (ok, he’s not a dinosaur, but we couldn’t resist!)
- Eddie (Edmontosaurus)
Scientific Dinosaur Names
Is your pet particularly clever? Do they seem the sort to be taken seriously? If so, why not give them a proper scientific dinosaur name. Or for some extra fun, name them with the English translation of a dinosaur name.
- Albertosaurus (Deceptive Lizard)
- Baryonyx (Heavy Claw)
- Brontosaurus (Thunder Lizard)
- Gallimimus (Chicken Mimic)
- Maiasaura (Good Mother Lizard)
- Oviraptor (Egg Thief)
- Pterodactyl (Winged Fingers)
- Tyrannosaurus Rex
Classic Kids’ TV Dinosaurs
Not a fan of the serious, formal, options? Then where better to search for names for your lovable pet, than the nostalgic world of children’s (dinosaur) television? Here’s a selection of dino characters from three of our favourites.
From Disney’s Jim Henson classic ‘Dinosaurs’ we love…
- The Baby
- Mr Lizard
From animated film series ‘The Land Before Time’ you might remember…
And if you like your kids’ dinosaur-related TV a little more up to date why not check out cool robot-dino series ‘Dinotrux’ for some inspiration.
Jurassic World Names
Looking for a more mature name for your dino-like pet? How about a dinosaur from the movies? Or why not name them after a famous dinosaur movie character, actor, or director?
The Jurassic Park/World movie franchise alone gives us all these options…
What’s your favourite dinosaur movie? Why not watch it again and make a note of the characters’ names, until you find one that suits your pet.
Real Life Dinosaur Celebrities
Instead of naming your pet after a dinosaur, or for their dino-looks, why not be a little more subtle? These names are all real life dinosaur ‘celebrities’. From paleontologists that made amazing discoveries to presenters that inspire a love of the prehistoric, they all have a place in the modern-day dinosaur story. You could use their first name, surname, or even both.
- Richard Owen (invented the name ‘dinosaur’)
- Mary Anning (Victorian fossil expert)
- Barnum Brown (discovered the T Rex)
- Karen Chin (studied the first fossilized T-Rex dung)
- Lawrence Lambe (described Canada’s first dino finds)
- Andy Day (presenter of ‘Andy’s Dinosaur Adventures’)
- William Buckland (discovered Megalosaurus)
- Jack Horner (discovered Maiasaurus’ nesting grounds)
- Nigel Marven (Presenter of ‘Prehistoric Park’)
- Sue Hendrickson (discovered a T Rex skeleton in South Dakota)
- Othniel Marsh (named Stegosaurus and Triceratops)
- Patricia Vicker-Rich (leading Australian paleontologist)
- Roy C Andrews (discovered Velociraptor)
- Elizabeth Philpott (Victorian paleontologist)
- William Parker Foulke (found the first American dinosaur skeleton)
- Stephen Fry (Narrator of ‘March of the Dinosaurs’)
- Jack McIntosh (leading sauropod expert)
- Ruth Mason (found thousands of fossils aged 7)
- Benjamin W Hawkins (made the first dinosaur models)
- Zhao Xijin (named 17 dinosaur species/families)
- Joan Wiffen (first to find dinosaurs in New Zealand)
- Luis Alvarez (came up with the meteorite theory of dinosaur mass extinction)
The Best Dinosaur Names For Pets
The best dinosaur themed pet names come from a wide range of sources. From fictional dinosaurs to real life dino skeletons, from names that reflect their looks, to celebrity Victorian fossil hunters.
Hopefully we’ve given you some great ideas to help you choose the perfect name for your pet. One that’s dinosaur related, but still reflects the other awesome aspects of your new friend’s looks and personality.
And have fun with your naming!
my dinosaur’s name is pika
please tell me how you have a dinosaur and how can i get one
I have 3 dinosaurs
i have five dinosaurs
Just saw one in Florida I’m choosing to call him Bowser
I EAT DINOSAURS
make some that rimes with beta
Ours is Bruno. Yeah, we don’t talk about Bruno.