Do you need rhino names in a hurry? We’ve got dozens of ideas right here, drawing inspiration from all kinds of places.
So whether you’re christening a cute black rhino calf, or naming a mighty white rhino bull, we’ve got something for everyone:
- Best rhinoceros names
- Female rhino names
- Male rhino names
- Famous rhino names
- Rhinoceros names from their native countries
- International rhino names
- Baby rhino names
- Funny rhino names
Naturally, we’re going to start with the rhino names we think are the very best. And here they are.
Best Rhino Names
- Juan de Fuca
Did you spot the theme? That’s right, we think the best rhinoceros names have a geological flavor, as a nod to their tough grey hide, and strong horn. But, we’ve got ideas in all kinds of other categories coming up too. First, let’s answer a burning question though.
Can You Keep A Pet Rhino?
Unsurprisingly, the answer to this is a firm ‘no!’ Rhinos are too big, too wild, and need too much specialist care for you to keep one in your yard. Owning a rhinoceros is also illegal without a zoo licence. But, you can learn more about the different rhino types, and choose a hypothetical favorite pet rhino species!
25 million years ago, giant rhinos taller than giraffes roamed the Tibetan Plateau at the same time as the woolly mammoths. They’re long gone now, as are numerous smaller rhino species. The five species we still have left exist in preciously small numbers, and are all the subject of conservation programmes to stop them dying out altogether.
|Size||Distribution||Fast fact||Conservation status|
|4,000 - 5,000lbs||Kenya, Uganda, and Southern Africa||White rhinos are the largest, and also most abundant rhino species.||Near threatened|
|1,870 - 3,530lbs||Southern Africa||Black rhinos are the same color as white rhinos - they are both grey!||Critically endangered|
|4,000 - 7,100lbs||India, Pakistan, and Nepal||Indian rhinos can make at least 10 distinct vocalisations.||Vulnerable|
|2,000 - 4,400lbs||Java||Javan rhinos only have one horn.||Critically endangered|
|1,500 - 2,200lbs||Sumatra||Sumatran rhinos are the smallest rhino species.||Critically endangered|
Are Rhinos friendly?
Some are! Zookeepers and conservationists report that all rhinos have their own distinct personalities. Some are bossy, some are reserved, and some love to demand attention from their human carers! Rhinos are more friendly with each other if they are female or juvenile. Females and their young live together in social groups, and don’t move around too much. Adult males are solitary, and dedicate a lot of time to establishing and asserting the perimeter of a large territory.
Baby Rhino Names
What is a baby rhino called? In the wild, a baby rhino is called a calf? But a baby rhino toy, or a baby rhino in your imagination can be called anything you like! This list is designed to help you choose a baby rhino name:
If you’d like some sex-specific rhino name ideas, then these next couple of lists are for you.
Cute Rhino Names – Female
Did you know that female rhinos are called cows? Here are some sweet and fabulous names for them:
Next, we’ve got some rhino names with a distinctly masculine feel.
Cute Rhino Names – Male
Male rhinos are called bulls. Fully mature bulls live alone, and use precisely laid piles of dung to mark their territory. They probably wouldn’t appreciate being called cute, but we think they’re kinda adorable anyway. Here are some names for them:
Next, we’re going to turn to the world of fiction for rhino naming ideas.
Famous Rhinoceros Names
Rhinos’ iconic silhouette and curved horns make them instantly recognizable the world over. So it’s no wonder they’re a popular addition to comics and cartoons. This list of famous rhino names and cartoon rhino names is great if you like choosing something tried and tested.
- Boss (Kimba The White Lion)
- Clam (Camp Lazlo)
- Commander Vachir (Kung Fu Panda)
- Dicero (Marvel comics)
- Gen (Dark Horse Comics)
- Gloria (Madagascar)
- Green Horn (Archie Adventure series)
- Headstrong (Transformers)
- Lord Rataxes (Babar The Elephant)
- Lulu (Ni Hao, Kai-Lan)
- Moto (Madagascar)
- Mr Hornbill (My Gym Partner’s A Monkey)
- Mr Mammoth (The Raccoons)
- Obadiah Horn (Elephantmen)
- Otto (Otto Is A Rhinoceros)
- Ramhorn (Transformers)
- Reinhold (Reinhold das Nashorn)
- Rhinox (Transformers)
- Rhydon (rhino Pokemon name)
- Rhyhorn (rhino Pokemon name)
- Rocksteady (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Rocky (The Jungle Book)
- Rogon (Lego’s Legend of China)
- Roy (Penguins of Madagascar)
- Strorks (Just So Stories)
- Top-Heavy (Transformers)
If you’d prefer something a bit more unusual and meaningful, then our next list is for you.
Rhino Names From Their Native Countries
Rhino keepers and conservationists say that every rhino has their own unique personality – just like people do. These human names used in the countries rhinos come from are a great way to honor that individualism.
- Aline (girls’ name in Angola)
- Amir (boys’ name in India)
- Ana (girls’ name in Angola)
- Asbel (boys’ name in Kenya)
- Baburam (boys’ name in Nepal)
- Chilalah (boys’ name in Angola)
- Chimini (girls’ name in Nepal)
- Eliud (boys’ name in Kenya)
- Hyvin (girls’ name in Kenya)
- Jusuf (boys name in Indonesia)
- Kalpana (girls’ name in India)
- Karina (girls’ name in Indonesia)
- Lakshmi (girls’ name in India)
- Linet (girls’ name in Kenya)
- Majid (boys’ name in Uganda)
- Masayu (girls’ name in Indonesia)
- Nito (boys’ name in Angola)
- Rizal (boys name in Indonesia)
- Sachin (boys’ name in India)
- Sejun (boys’ name in Nepal)
- Sheebah (girls’ name in Uganda)
- Sriva (girls’ name in Nepal)
- Tenywa (boys’ name in Uganda)
- Tshilah (girls’ name in Uganda)
Alternatively, you might like one of the following names, with an even more international flavor.
International Rhinoceros Names
Translations of the word ‘rhinoceros’ are a great source of fun rhino names. See what we mean with these examples:
- Badak (Indonesian)
- Badhak (Javanese)
- Gainda (Hindi)
- Gergedan (Turkish)
- Karkanda (Hausa)
- Karki (Tajik)
- Kifaru (Swahili)
- Koppulso (Korean)
- Nashorn (German)
- Nashyrningur (Icelandic)
- Neushoorn (Dutch)
- Ninasarvik (Estonian)
- Nosorog (Croatian)
- Raganosis (Latvian)
- Renoster (Afrikaans)
- Rinoceront (Albanian)
- Sai (Japanese)
- Ubhejane (Zulu)
- Umkhombe (Xhosa)
- Wiyisha (Somali)
Finally, we’ve got some rhinoceros names guaranteed to put a smile on your face!
Funny Rhino Names
Naming rhinos doesn’t have to be a serious business. These funny rhino names celebrate the lighter side of naming one of Mother Nature’s most peculiar creations.
- Ariel (rhinos are keen swimmers)
- Bolt (and fast runners!)
- Dr Bunsen Honeydew (rhinos have poor eyesight)
- Twilight Sparkle
- Vlad the Impaler
Do you know some good rhino puns we could add to this list? Let us know in the comments box!
Before you go, why not check out these articles for naming inspiration too?
- Elephant Names – Over 200 Irresistible Ideas
- Dinosaur Names For Pets
- 194 Amazing Unicorn Names
- Cow Names – Over 400 Amazing Names For Your Cattle
- 180 Alligator Names