Beavers make great pets….said no one, ever. But just because you probably won’t ever have a pet beaver of your very own doesn’t mean you don’t need this awesome list of beaver names! After all, beavers belong to one of the largest animal families on the planet – the rodents.
Have a pet mouse? Rat? Muskrat? (Just kidding.) Even if you don’t have any live pets at the moment, you can never have too many good beaver names just in case. So let’s get to it and dive into the best names for girl beavers, boy beavers, cute and funny and unique beavers – you will even famous beaver names in the lists below.
Female Beaver Names
A female beaver is an expert multi-tasker, often balancing five or more kits (young beavers) on her tail while foraging for food and lodge construction materials. These beaver names for girls reflect this mixture of tenderness and strength for which these amazing animals are known.
- Betty Lou
- Abigail (“Abby”)
Male Beaver Names
Male beavers have the primary responsibility for maintaining their territory and overseeing dam and lodge construction. Of course, the whole family helps out – building and maintaining a beaver dwelling is a full-time job! These male beaver names are strong, smart and striving for the biggest and best dam on the block, just like their real-life counterparts!
- Charles (“Chuck”)
- Howard (“Howie”)
Cute Beaver Names
Beavers are cute. Just think of idioms like “eager beaver” and “busy beaver” and you get a good visual of a beaver’s adorable, inquisitive face and the enthusiasm these animals bring to their difficult work and often complicated family life.
The fur-covered beaver babies, or kits, are even cuter as they follow their mom, dad and older siblings around to learn basic foraging skills as well as the 1-2-3’s of the family woodworking business. These cute beaver names strive to capture that classic beaver cuteness – use as-is or mix-and-match to find the perfect name for you!
- Busy Bee
- (Punxsutawney) Phil
Funny Beaver Names
With their broad flat tales, large front teeth, webbed hind feet and and short little front paws, beavers strike many people as quite funny looking!
Graceful in water and awkward on land, there is nothing funnier than watching a beaver waddle up onto the shore clutching their precious stash of leafy dam building materials. Lucky for you, finding funny beaver names to capture the comedy of these personable rodents is as easy as scanning through this list.
- (Ward) Cleaver the Beaver
- Justin Beaver
- Don Chuck
- (Daniel) Boone
- Bossy Beaver
Unusual Names for Beavers
Beavers are bold builders of some of the sturdiest structures in the world. If you’ve ever stood downstream from a beaver dam, you have already experienced this for yourself.
Beavers may be small in size but they have a huge impact everywhere they live – even potentially holding out a solution to worldwide drought. And beavers can do it all – swim, dig, climb, burrow, even walk on their hind legs. Beavers can even hold their breath under water for up to 15 minutes at a stretch! These unique beaver names capture the best of the beaver’s unique and much-needed role on this planet.
- Castor (for the vanilla-scented castoreum adult beavers secrete to mark their turf)
- Archibald (Stansfeld Belaney, who pioneered beaver conservation)
- Aesop (of Fables fame, who had some unique theories about castoreum)
- Pierre (Belon, a naturalist with a taste for beaver tail)
- The Great Beaver (character in a Native American folktale)
- Three Penny (named after the three-penny beaver stamp in Canada)
- Frank (Bell Canada’s spokesbeaver)
- Gordon (Bell Canada’s spokesbeaver)
- Smokey (anecdotal name given to beavers who helped mitigate wildfire disaster)
- Martinez (name of the area where a famous real-life beaver family lives)
- Digout (last name of the photographer whose footage of Canadian beavers went viral)
- Constable Chris (Calgary police officer who rescued a beaver from a storm drain)
- Earthquake (nickname for one of the most famous Oregon Beavers football players)
- Belching Beaver (actual pub name in New England)
- Louise Beavers (famous film actress from the 1940’s)
- Clyde Beavers (hillbilly recording artist from the 1960’s)
- Cherry Tree Bandit (beaver who repurposed whole cherry and cedar trees near the Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C.)
- Wood Buffalo (name of the park where the longest beaver dam in the world was found)
- Jurassic Beaver (scientists tell us the modern beaver’s prehistoric relative was gigantic)
Famous Beavers’ Names
Think there are no famous beavers? Think again! From university mascots to cartoon characters, big budget movie beavers to real-life furry social media celebs, you will find many of the most notable names in beaverdom on the list below. Check out this list of famous beaver names, complete with notes about why each name has earned its place on the list.
- Beave (Tiktok famous wild rehab beaver)
- Bea (Tiktok famous wild rehab beaver)
- Benny the Beaver (OSU mascot)
- Mr. Busy the Beaver (Lady and the Tramp)
- Tim the Beaver (MIT mascot)
- Daggett Doofus (The Angry Beavers)
- Norbert Foster (The Angry Beavers)
- Mr. Beaver (The Chronicles of Narnia)
- Mrs. Beaver (The Chronicles of Narnia)
- Pudgy Beaver Mom (Ice Age 3)
- Nice Beaver (The Naked Gun)
- Bingo “Bet It All” Beaver (The Get Along Gang)
- Toot (Kissyfur cartoon)
- Buddy and Twig (Wild Kratts)
- Timber and Sticker (Wild Kratts)
- Doris, Horace, Morris and Boris (Timothy Goes to School)
- Reilly (Open Season)
- Munchy Beaver (PB&J Otter)
- Toothy (Happy Tree Friends)
- Handy (Happy Tree Friends)
Picking the Perfect Beaver Names
Picking the best beaver name isn’t about following a formula. It is about trusting your gut. Look for a name you love to say and share. Find the name that makes you smile each time you think it or say it out loud. Don’t be shy to play around with several names on these lists until you find “the one.” Happy beaver naming and don’t forget to stop back by and share the name you chose!
Readers Also Liked
- Bradford, A. “Facts About Beavers” Live Science. 2015.
- Rice, N. “9 Amazing Beaver Facts” Chattahoochee Nature Center. 2021.
- Doubek, J. “Meet Beave, The Internet’s Most Famous Beaver” NPR. 2020.
- Alongi, J. “Beaver Facts” Animal Facts Encyclopedia. 2019.
- Whittle, A. “Smokey the Beaver” Ecological Society of America Journal (Wiley). 2020.